Kev and I are in a fight. A big fight. He insists on calling MY son "Ralph". It's funny that when we fight the kids suddenly become mine (actually he doesn't say that... but go along with me).
For those of you that don't have the MATURE sense of humor that my husband has, let me introduce you to Ralph:

He's a goofy character on The Simpsons and obviously not one from whom you'd like your son to inherit his name. I'm scared to death Kev will continue with the "Ralph-calling" and it will stick. I envision Ralph (aka Finn) sitting in a job interview having to answer the question, "so tell me Finn, why do you go by the name Ralph and not your given name." I'm sure it will knock the socks off the corporates when he explains that his dad was a big fan of The Simpsons and it all started with a really bad hairstyle.
Now, I don't intend to offend the Ralph's of the world out there. It's a fine name. It's just not the one I picked for my son...and especially not when named after the character (you know, the one with the finger in his nose up there).
A lot of time has been invested in the name Finn. It took us long enou
gh to pick it. Then add in all the time it's taken explaining to everyone that there really isn't a cool story behind the name - we just thought it sounded cool after watching Great Expectations (hellloooo.... do you see Ethan Hawke up there??? Who wouldn't want their kid named after that?). Add into that all the time it takes to correct the masses out there that insist on calling him "Ben". For awhile I thought about having a onesie made up with, "NO, IT'S FINN... WITH AN "F". One lady even complimented me on the name "Zen"... "how unusual and creative". So, I feel like we've worked hard for the name Finn and darn it, we're using it.
gh to pick it. Then add in all the time it's taken explaining to everyone that there really isn't a cool story behind the name - we just thought it sounded cool after watching Great Expectations (hellloooo.... do you see Ethan Hawke up there??? Who wouldn't want their kid named after that?). Add into that all the time it takes to correct the masses out there that insist on calling him "Ben". For awhile I thought about having a onesie made up with, "NO, IT'S FINN... WITH AN "F". One lady even complimented me on the name "Zen"... "how unusual and creative". So, I feel like we've worked hard for the name Finn and darn it, we're using it.As we all know, nicknames unfortunately stick. Growing up we had a guy named Bear at church. The name stuck because he used to growl as a kid. We had a friend Ganja in college (3 guesses where that name came from). We had a friend Beaner in youth group (I think this had to do with bodily functions). My dad even is no longer dad. He is now How because he used to play Indians with the kids and stop in front of them and say "How." It stuck and I've had to explain that story 100 times when people hear me or my kids call him How.
So... back to Ralph. Kev thinks Finn's hair looks like Ralph's... obviously not the greatest compliment in the world. I'll will admit, although reluctantly, that Finn has bad hair. We've done all we can do to help it but I still feel like we haven't done enough. The sweet girl at Sport Clips tells us to "give it time and it will get better." Like a cold or virus or something...
Here's a picture of Finn showing off his "Ralph-style-hair". I'm suprised he doesn't have a callus on his forehead from me constantly sweeping his hair to the side (especially when the camera comes out). Unfortunately it stays to the side all of 5 seconds and immediately reverts back to The Ralph.
It's amazing to me with Kev's crowning glory of hair and my thick hair that both of our kids have escaped with thin hair. Finn's is still baby fine and unfortunately does this thing where it hangs in front of his face. And yes, as much as I hate to admit it, it does look a little like Ralph.
So, this is a cry for help. We need hair suggestions. At this point all options are on the table. I would love to move him up to a Diego or a Bam-Bam... just please not Ralph.

1 comment:
I am laughing so hard!! All I have to say is Kev, seriously - the Simpsons? Wasn't that our show in college - hello, 12 years ago! Move on my friend!! Do you think I'm still sitting around watching re-runs of Fresh Prince of Bel-Aire????
Post a Comment