Saturday, October 11, 2008

Milestones

My friend at work has twins that are two months younger than Finn. It's always fun to hear what they're up to since they're so close in age with Finn. A couple weeks ago she emailed me a list of their milestones (they're now 16 months). Just to name a few... drinking out of an open cup, going potty twice on the big potty, performing the motions of Itsy-Bitsy Spider, playing Ring Around the Rosies and adding socks, duck, Nana and bear to their vocabulary. My jaw about hit the ground when I read this.

Now, I have to admit I've lost some of my "first-time-mom-what-are-the-other-kids-doing" obsessiveness. But I also have to admit that I obsessed a little on this email. When I read the email, I was up in the office one foot away from Kevin and immediately forwarded it to him. In two seconds he turned from his desk... gave me a look... and we both headed off to find Finn to see just how well he'd do at Ring Around the Rosie. So, we gathered round with a reluctant Grace in tow and setup in the middle of the den. We all joined hands, danced in a circle (well, technically we PULLED Finn in a circle) and he totally got a kick out of watching US "all fall down". Meanwhile, after watching our tenth "all fall down", he took off and found a bag of mini-Chips Ahoy Kev had left on the ottoman. I guess he was getting snacks for the show.

A lot of you all probably know that we've had concerns with Finn's development. The little man is as happy and good as can be but has chosen not to talk too much. He's been to Texas Childrens and ECI has twice been out to visit. Each time we've heard the same verdict, "we believe you're highly anticipating his needs". In medical lingo that means, "quit spoiling the kid." I guess the theory is that if he never has to ask for something, he never needs to talk. Ok, so there might be a little truth in that theory. However, we also made our own diagnosis: Finn is a lot like his dad... pretty laid back... a man of few words... and going to do things on his own schedule. Most days I feel pretty good with our "Howren diagnosis", but I do admit that sometimes I worry. To make myself feel better, I've decided to write my very own FINN HOWREN MILESTONES.

Finn's 18 month milestones:

1. Can giggle non-stop at the smallest things.

2. Can go an entire day at Mother's Day Out without a tear shed (accomplished last week!)

3. Able to deconstruct a book in 5 minutes flat.

4. Can make mom happy with just a smile.

5. Able to hold an entire "conversation" with you using only the word "nay-nay".

6. Able to stage any situation where he can use his new and favorite word, "uh-oh". Example - throwing food off the table (uh-oh), pulling sister's hair (uh-oh), pouring a Coke on the ottoman then crawling on top of it and splashing like he's in the tub (uh-oh), eating Strawberry's food (uh-oh), pulling a page out of aforementioned books (uh-oh).

7. Can convince my family to sing Ring Around the Rosie 1,000 times while I just sit and watch and eat Chips Ahoys.

8. Somehow can convince an entire restaurant to wave "bye bye" to me (in backwards fashion where my hand is facing myself) when I leave.

9. Able to go a full day of sisters activities with no nap and still remain happy.

10. Can be super-sneaky-quiet. For example, when opening an entire tub of Eucerin cream and spreading it all over the den carpet and then proceeding to "feed" it to my big bear stuffed animal. All while mom cooks dinner and is none the wiser.


YEA FINN... we're proud of you buddy!

You might not be drinking out of a cup, sitting on the potty, using lots or words, or dancing around in a circle but you sure make us happy. We love you.



1 comment:

SarahFifer said...

I think he sounds like a GENIUS!!!! Way to go Finn!!