Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Wah Wah Wah

Yesterday was my birthday. I'm not big on celebrating my birthday, but it's hard not to with an eight-year-old party planner living in the house. Thanks to Grace (and the chauffeuring of Kev), I was treated to a super-fun day with lots of surprises. I know there was a lot of love poured into my pink cookie cake, new Webkinz mouse, and handmade (by Grace) t-shirt. I ended the day feeling both loved and blessed.

My gift to myself was coming today.

As most of you know, Kev works from home. That means he's HERE all the time... with me. Not that I don't love Kevo, but I love my alone time too... and I've missed it lately.

Kev let me know a few days ago that he was going out of town for the day to visit with David in Waco. Here's where my present comes: Finn's in school.... Grace is in school... Kev's in Waco... and I'm home... ALONE!!! I had my beautiful, perfect day all planned. I'd drop Finn off at 9:00, run a few errands, work just a little (so I wouldn't feel guilty the rest of the day), and catch up on blogging about our fun Thanksgiving. I was most excited about the appointment I had with a trashy Julie Garwood mystery/romance, the couch and a pair of fuzzy jammies. Oh the thrill... the excitement... it has gotten me through the last few hectic days to know I'd have an entire day alone.

So I headed to the bank and then to Hobby Lobby. As I'm on my way to my third and final errand (Julie Garwood here I come!) I get THE CALL (at approximately 9:35 a.m. - that's right, a tease of 35 minutes of freedom). Grace was throwing up at school.

My beautiful, perfect day was suddenly gone.

Julie Garwood lost out to chicken noodle soup and laundry. The couch was turned into a "sick bed" with a large bowl on the side for the patient to toss her goods into. It's 9:00 p.m. and I still haven't had time to change into those fuzzy jammies.

I guess in 17 years when Finn heads off to college Ms. Garwood and I will make up for lost time. Truth is, when those days come I'll probably be wishing for a day when I could to hold both my kids in my arms and know that all they wanted was their Mama.

Here are a couple pics of my "made with love by Grace" shirt. I guess all that Project Runway watching really is paying off...


4 comments:

Angie P said...

:( That's what I keep hearing... that once the house is quiet and kids are gone, it's TOO quiet! Not that I'm saying to enjoy the throw up.... funny, Luke threw up 2x on Sunday night! I hope that Grace is feeling better today, and that you are able to have some "alone" time on Thursday while Finn is at school.... Tell Kev to just stay in his office and lock the door ;) BTW you will like what I sent you yesterday for your bday... hopefully you can wear them on Thurs! Love ya, you mid-35-er ;)

SarahFifer said...

Life of a mom!! I'm so sad for you that you didnt' get your day but so happy for Grace that she has you as a mommy! Lucky girl!! Happy Birthday friend!

the bowlin family said...

Happy Birthday!! One day you will get your day, one day. Tell Grace I love the t-shirt.

Anonymous said...

dear mom I was so excited when I saw the shirt
I hope like





love
grace