Mystery Reader has been a fun part of second grade for Grace. This was new to us and we quickly learned that it's a BIG deal... and lots of fun!
I had the honor of being the first Mystery Reader of the year. I donned my dog mask and did a pretty darn good job of reading Skippy Jon Jones with my muy bien Spanish accent. I figured I had to do it now... not too many years where I can get away with doing that and not cause life-altering embarrassment for my child.
Last week How took the honor of being the Mystery Reader. After he checked in at the front desk they beeped back to Miss Shelby's class and announced, "Miss Shelby... your mystery reader is heeeerrrreeee....". All the kids anxiously closed their eyes and were shocked when they looked up to find How in the Mystery Reader chair. Grace inherited the cool trait of breaking out in hives on her neck when she's super-excited from her Aunt Julie and guess what... the poor kid was one big hive after she opened her eyes and saw How!
Here's Grace when she spots How. Hives will appear in 5 seconds...
Dad chose a couple of Froggy books. They seemed to be quite the hit with the kids. I couldn't resist hearing Dad read Froggy so I snuck in to take pictures and listen. I was amazed! He's pretty good at making all those sound effects and even did a stellar job of the infamous "FRRROOOOGGGGYYYY" line when Froggy's mom calls him. I didn't know Dad had it in him!
One of the most fun parts of Mystery Reader is bringing along a treat to go with your book. I must say How hit a home run bringing these green froggies for everyone. Good work How!
I was up at the school the next day to cheer Grace on for her Run-4-Fun and one of her classmates asked me, "when is that big guy with those green frogs coming back?". They're wanting an encore already!
2 comments:
That is SO precious!I know she was so proud!!
So fun!! I remember how much my students loved the mystery reader back in the days of teaching first grade. How sounds like a "natural." Grace is precious!! Love this!!
Post a Comment