Gogi & How pulled through for the sixth year in a row and gave us a family vacation for part of our Christmas. GOD BLESS GRANDPARENTS!!! Because we had so much fun at Great Wolf Lodge last year (and the kids wouldn't quit talking about it) they decided to do it again.
So, we packed our bags on Thursday. Wait, I should say I packed our bags on Thursday... and then I packed our car.. and then Kev repacked our car... and then I came out and added a bag I had forgotten... and then Kev completely repacked our car again. Ugh...
I'm not sure if it's a "man thing", but he has some kind of special packing system known only to Kev and you'd think after 11 years of marriage I would have learned. DON'T MESS WITH KEV'S PACKING. Sometimes it's a game... I see if I can slip in a tote bag or makeup bag without him noticing. I've failed every time.
Ok, back to the trip... we decided to head up through Waco to stop and show the kids some of our old stompin' grounds (and to let some of that Baylor love rub off on those Aggie Thompson kids). We stopped at Health Camp on the Circle for burgers and shakes. Gogi & How used to eat there during their Baylor days and the 3 of us kept the tradition alive during our years. I learned a few things:
- Some things are left better as a memory. We walked in and I was quite appalled when I saw where I was going to let my kids eat. Either I had extremely low standards of eating while I was in college, or the place has really gone to pot in the last 12 years. Ewww....
- It's scary when all your drinks taste funny and their explanation is, "I'm sorry... you're probably just not used to the water here". Ewww.....
- Don't talk up the talking trash can until you're sure it still exists. I had told the kids how the trash can says "thank you" when you throw your trash away. Unfortunately I was basing this on my experience 12+ years ago. Well, Grace ran in and immediately stuck her hand through all the trash cans (ewwww....), held her ear to the trash cans (ewwww....) and was completely disappointed. Seems when they gave up quality water and cleaning products they gave up the talking trash can as well.
After surviving Health Camp we stopped by the Bear pit to check out the Baylor Bears. It was quite exciting as the bears actually performed for us - I guess it's hard not to perform for eight cheering kids.
Here are Kev & Finn in front of the "sleeping bear". Finn kept pointing at it saying, "shhhhh....".
Gogi & How give the kids spending money every day and it was burning a hole in their pockets so we ran over to the Baylor bookstore to relieve them of their agony. We walked out with about 10 Baylor basketballs, 8 Baylor t-shirts, 6 Baylor sweatshirts, 2 Baylor footballs, and two oinking pigs (thanks Uncle Gene).
In full Baylor paraphernalia we headed on to Great Wolf Lodge. Sic 'em Bears! Look closely and you'll see Adam doing his "Gig Em" while the rest of us are giving our "Sic' Em"... we're still working on that kid!
2 comments:
So fun! I agree. We ate at Health Camp at homecoming this past year and YUCK! It is ALOT different when it's your kids sitting there in the nasty restuarant. I think we had very low standards in college - look at where we lived!!! But we were clueless and sometimes I'd go back to that anyday :)
I totally DIG that about Adam T., loyal as loyal can be.
We want to go to Great Wolf this summer. LAT has been giving me the 411.
BTW- I LOVE your header!
Post a Comment