The other day we're packed in there as a family and Kev and I are deep into discussion. I tend to forget we have passengers in the back until they pipe up with something to add (Finn's is usually limited to "Nay Nay" however Grace's comments are unlimited). I'm telling Kev about my week and make a remark like, "Man... this week stinks. I'm not sure how I can get all this done."
Suddenly I hear this sweet seven-year old voice boldly say, "Awwwww..... the Bible says... The Truth is... I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." I was shocked. First of all because I kind of forgot she was back there. I also didn't think she was listening to us (I forget she has the ability to belt out the Jonas Brothers and listen to us at the same time). But mostly because she was right.
Grace went on to tell us that in Miss Shelby's class anytime anyone says "I can't" or "I'm stupid" or anything along those lines the entire class recites the above verse (including the Awwww..... part - her favorite). I think my heart actually grew in that moment. Not only is she learning verbs, subject nouns, article adjectives, etc... she's also learning God's amazing love and the strength only He can give us. What an invaluable lesson that even at this age I need to be reminded of.
Thank you Miss Shelby.
Here's a picture of the kids in the backseat on Grace's first day of school. This will give you an idea of how they ride - Grace right next to Finn. Most of the time you find Grace's hand resting on his seat and his hand holding on to her. When Grace is gone Finn holds his hand over to her side and says, "Ga Ga". Then we pass Chick-Fil-A... or a billboard with the picture of a dog on it...or a car with a cat in it... or a school with a tiger mascot... or he spots one of the monsters on his PJ's... or pretty much anything that distracts him and it's back to "nay nay".
2 comments:
Precious. I'm so glad that Grace is at a place all day where she can learn about, feel, and experience God's love & grace.... and then share it. Amazing what our children teach us. Thank you for sharing this! :)
it is so humbling when our children remind us of truth, but that is just another amazing blessings of having children. sweet grace! i love this story.
Post a Comment