Monday, September 1, 2008

Bye-Bye Summer

Grace started school August 13th (a little late in my blogging, I know). It was such a special day I just had to reach back a couple weeks and share.

After a whole lot of prayer we made the really hard decision to leave so many of our dear friends and move Grace to a new school. We prepped her all summer long pointing out all the good things that she had to look forward to. In usual Grace fashion she made the transition with no problem at all. In looking back, I think we were prepping ourselves more than we were her. After a couple weeks at Cypress Christian, we feel so blessed for so many reasons.




We are blessed with Miss Shelby - the true definition of what a teacher should be. After her first day Grace jumped in the car and told us that the theme of the day was "2nd Grade is a Piece of Cake" and Miss Shelby made them real cupcakes (emphasis on the "real kind - not the store kind"). She later told me, "Miss Shelby gives me so many hugs I can't count them all".


We are blessed with friends that haven't forgotten us. The night before school started Grace's best friend's mom (Cissy) called and asked us to give her a 5 minute warning before we left in the morning. To give you background, we got a knock on our door 5 years ago and a little blonde haired girl stood there asking for the little girl in our house to come out and play in the cul-de-sac. Since that day Libby and Grace have probably clocked 1,000 miles in that cul-de-sac on Barbie Jeeps, tricycles, wagons, scooters and bikes.


So...on the first day of school, we all pile in the car and when we get to the end of the street where Lib lives we see she, her dog Shelby and her mom with balloons and posters wishing Grace a good 1st day at school. It's been tradition the past two years for the girls to have their 1st day of school pictures together and I was so happy to see us continue it (with Grace in her uniform and Lib in her PJ's). You'll see them together here but what you don't see are Cissy and me bawling in the background. Thank you Libby for one of the most special memories I have.



We are blessed that we have family at Cypress Christian. Julie & Bud joined us in our move to CCS and I love the fact that the kids are there together (and to have a carpool buddy!). I love getting to see the boys and hearing about their daily adventures. Of course a lot of times I'm just hearing the fighting in the back seat - but it's still great to have them there.

No comments: