We grew up with Nanny living next door. My parents even paved a concrete walkway for us to go back and forth between the houses. Nanny still lives in that house and it warms my heart to see my kids run down that same concrete walkway so excited to see their Nanny.
Nanny always keeps us entertained at our big family get togethers. She watches Bill O'Reilly two times a day religiously. Yes, you read that right, she watches him at 7:00 and then catches the re-run at 10:00 just in case she missed anything. She's always up on current events and browses People magazine to keep up on style.
If you know my mom you know she's the sweetest person you'll ever meet. If you know my sisters and me you'll wonder how that sweet lady raised three strong and opinionated women. If you know Nanny you'll know where we got it from. Along with loving me, she taught me to be strong. She taught me to have a voice. She taught me how to find a good sale - and to always check my ticket to make sure I got the sale price. She taught me about true love. Granddaddy has been gone for more than 50 years and she still loves him like she did when she was 20. You'll even find her still wearing a wedding ring. The greatest stamp of approval I ever got was when she met Kevin and said to me, "he reminds me of your Granddaddy." I knew he was the one after that. She taught me that it's always important to put something green on your plate. She taught me the value of independence... Nanny still lives on her own (and even babysits!). She taught me how to make a good roast and "slum". She still hasn't taught me how to make her famous stuffing for Thanksgiving but I'm hoping she'll give up that secret soon.
Last night the family got together and celebrated Nanny. It made it even more special that her sweet sister, Aunt Frankie, came in from Kentucky for the celebration. Here they are with their crew.
We love you Nanny!
2 comments:
Happy Birthday to Nanny!! Gosh, I just love that lady! :) LOVE her! She amazes me. I swear she has more energy at 98 than I do at 34 (and I know she has more fashion sense, if she keeps up with People mag.) Please give her a hug for me....
that is so neat that you have such an incredible lady in your life, well is sounds like you have lots of amazing people surrounding you with wisdom and love.
Post a Comment