This past weekend I had the honor of spending four days with five of my most favorite people on this earth... my college girlfriends. It doesn't seem right to just call them my college friends... they are so much more. They are my life friends. They are part of me. They helped make me who I am. Without them I think I would go crazy... or spend a heck of a lot of money in therapy.
My freshman year at Baylor, when I moved onto the 2nd floor of Collins dorm and met these girls I had no idea they would turn into the women that I would need for years to come.
We've shared tears of happiness and tears of sadness. We've survived loss, cancer, infertility, frantic calls from husbands and emergency C-sections, helplessly watching our babies go into surgery, miscarriage, growing pains in our marriages... and all the curve balls life has thrown at us. We've rallied the troops at these times and always known we're not in this alone. There's nothing more empowering than to know you have five Godly women on your side ready to pray and ready to fight for you.
We've watched each other fall in love. We've stood by each other at our weddings. We've celebrated the birth of each of our precious children. We've looked around and wondered how we got this old. It really hit me when I pulled up to the lake this weekend and parked behind 3 minivans and 2 SUV's.
Since we graduated from college and moved to different cities and states, we've met up at least once a year for our annual Girls Weekend. We used to do trips, spas, and nights out on the town. Now we pack jammies, snacks and dvds and just enjoy relaxing and catching up on our hectic lives.
We've watched each other fall in love. We've stood by each other at our weddings. We've celebrated the birth of each of our precious children. We've looked around and wondered how we got this old. It really hit me when I pulled up to the lake this weekend and parked behind 3 minivans and 2 SUV's.
Since we graduated from college and moved to different cities and states, we've met up at least once a year for our annual Girls Weekend. We used to do trips, spas, and nights out on the town. Now we pack jammies, snacks and dvds and just enjoy relaxing and catching up on our hectic lives.
I'll give you a glimpse into our group...

We often call Sarah "captain our captain". This makes her mad which just makes us do it more. She really is our captain though and keeps us together. She's the one that organizes us, mothers us, and takes care of us. Without Sarah I'm not sure we'd have Girls Weekend. I envy her calmness, her faith, and her fabulous dancing ability. She's the rock in my life.

Angie is our ball of energy. She walks in the door and the room gets brighter and more exciting. She always shows up with projects, ideas, nailpolish, games, movies. etc.. She has a sweet nature but you'll never find a stronger fighter. She's our encourager. When life gets rough I want Angie by my side.

We often call Sarah "captain our captain". This makes her mad which just makes us do it more. She really is our captain though and keeps us together. She's the one that organizes us, mothers us, and takes care of us. Without Sarah I'm not sure we'd have Girls Weekend. I envy her calmness, her faith, and her fabulous dancing ability. She's the rock in my life.
Angie is our ball of energy. She walks in the door and the room gets brighter and more exciting. She always shows up with projects, ideas, nailpolish, games, movies. etc.. She has a sweet nature but you'll never find a stronger fighter. She's our encourager. When life gets rough I want Angie by my side.
Laura is our strong one. I've watched her take whatever life has handed her and turn it around into a blessing and an incredible part of her ministry. She is our faithful prayer warrior. I know if I mention any need that Laura will be on her knees with God taking on my request. Sometimes I think she has a direct line up there. I thank Laura for those times I was in need and she was silently there praying for me. I felt those prayers.
Kev describes Big Al, as my "hidden treasure". Everyone loves Allison. As a matter of fact, in the 13 years I've known Al I've never heard anyone say a single negative thing about her. She's the one that makes us laugh and our ears always perk up when she talks because she always has something interesting to say. I'm constantly in awe of the way Al handles life with such grace. She's a beautiful mother, wife and friend... and an inspiration to us all.
Mel is our compassionate one. She's the friend that's cried numerous tears with me over the phone or while hugging my neck. I know when I'm hurting Mel's hurting. One time in college I cried myself to sleep only to wake up to 2 Tylenol, a bottle of water and a note from Mel on my bedside table. Mel's my therapist and she has the incredible ability to always make me feel better after I talk to her.
I thank these beautiful women for what they've given me. I thank God for what I truly consider one of the very greatest blessings in my life... their friendship.
This weekend we all watched this video together. It's such a beautiful testimony of friendship. Enjoy!
3 comments:
Thanks for making me cry! Love you girls more than you know!! These words will help jumpstart my book I'm writing :) Thanks.
I am crying too! So great that y'all are still so close and make your friendships a priority. What a precious gift that you each give each other.
BTW, I would LOVE for Jack and Finn to meet sometime. You name the place and time and we will be there. He needs more boys to hang with. :)
i love you, becca, and loved our time together. i can't wait for the next girls weekend :) these are some of my most special and real memories. it's fun to think of the 6 of us still having our weekends when we're 60! :)
Post a Comment